San Martin home destroyed in early morning fire

SAN MARTIN
– A double-wide mobile home at 13995 Mercy Ave. in San Martin
was destroyed by a fire early this morning, killing a small dog who
woke its owner to warn her of the fire.
SAN MARTIN – A double-wide mobile home at 13995 Mercy Ave. in San Martin was destroyed by a fire early this morning, killing a small dog who woke its owner to warn her of the fire.

The only person home at the time of the fire was a 74-year-old woman who escaped the blaze with minor burns and smoke inhalation. She was taken to Saint Louise Hospital.

The fire began from an unknown electrical spark around 2:45 a.m. and quickly burned the home, a nearby shed, a canoe and a car. Three engines from South Santa Clara County Fire, one from Morgan Hill and one from Gilroy’s Chestnut station had the blaze under control in a half hour, but the damage was already done, according to Chris Morgan, a fire prevention specialist with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

“Mobile home fires don’t take long to burn,” he said. “The response was very quick, but the situation was already out of control.”

It is still unclear if the woman lived alone at the house, and the CDF is estimating $175,000 in total losses.

The woman has family in the area where she will be staying, Morgan said.

Leave your comments