I’m bored! There’s nothing to do!
When South County parents hear this familiar lament, they can
have a ready response.
“I’m bored! There’s nothing to do!”
When South County parents hear this familiar lament, they can have a ready response.
Many local churches are providing free or low-cost children’s programs this summer. Although some are already over, for example St. John’s Episcopal Church in Morgan Hill, there are still many opportunities available.
Call the numbers provided for more information.
• Gilroy Presbyterian Church offers a Summer Day Camp at Christmas Hill Park. Session one, for children entering kindergarten through second grade, will be held July 5-9 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Session two, for grades three through six, will be July 12-16 from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Both programs include Bible stories, choice of sports, crafts, drama and hiking, as well as special features for the older children.
The cost is $25 to $35. 848-3825.
The church, 6000 Miller Avenue, will also hold its first annual Summer Music and Drama Camp for students entering grades 2-6 the week of Aug. 2, 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Students will learn singing and acting techniques and have an opportunity to perform in “Little Big Lunch” for a cost of $25. 848-3825
• Gilroy’s First Baptist Church (8455 Wren Avenue) will hold Rickshaw Rally: Racing to the Son July 12-16 from 9 a.m to noon for children from four years old through those who have just finished sixth grade. Recreation, crafts (think origami), and refreshments with a “Far East mystique” will be offered. There is no cost to participate. 847-7428.
• Gilroy’s Trinity Bible Church (370A Tomkins Court) will be holding Neighborhood Bible Clubs in various neighborhoods this summer. Session one will be July 12-16 from 10 a.m. to noon at 985 Ortega Circle in Gilroy. Session two will be July 26-30 at 7431 Filice Court in Gilroy, and session three, date to be announced, will be held at 2848 Mirabella Court in Morgan Hill.
All sessions will include music, Bible stories, and crafts with a sports theme: God Always Wins. There is no charge to participate. 778-9319
• South Valley Community Church (8095 Kelton Drive, Gilroy) announces Son Games 2004: VBS of Champs Aug. 9-13 from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Students entering first through sixth grades will participate in stories, skits, crafts and songs; they will also receive a special tee-shirt for the inclusive price of $20 (family discounts available). 848-2363
• Morgan Hill Presbyterian Church (1690 DeWitt Avenue) will present Rickshaw Rally: Racing to the Son July 5-9 from 9 a.m. to noon. Participants will engage in music, snacks and crafts with a theme relating to missionaries interacting with Japanese culture.
The cost is $40 per child. 779-2820
• Morgan Hill’s First Baptist Church (305 West Main Avenue) also will be using the Rickshaw Rally curriculum July 12-16 from 1 to 4 p.m. Participants will enjoy music, crafts, snacks, and Bible stories in a church transformed into the streets of Tokyo. The cost is $25, which includes a special tee shirt. 779-4914
• Morgan Hill’s Advent Lutheran Church (16870 Murphy Avenue) offers Children’s Music Theatre in three sessions featuring drama, music and art. Openings are still available for the third session, running from July 26-31 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., with a public performance of “Soul Survivor” presented the final night. The cost is $165 per student. 779-3551
• Shadow Mountain Baptist Church (280 Llagas Road, Morgan Hill) will hold Neighborhood Bible Time July 26-30 from 8:30 to noon. Fourth through sixth graders are invited, and there will also be activities for students in grades 7 through 12 each evening.
There is no cost to participate. 782-7806
• West Hills Community Church (16695 DeWitt Avenue, Morgan Hill) will present Jesus Helps You Power Up August 9-13 from 9 a.m. to noon at Morgan Hill’s Community Park. Children will enjoy music, drama, Bible stories, crafts, games, and snacks. There is no cost to participate. 779-0697.
Chuck Flagg teaches English at Mt. Madonna High School. Write him c/o The Dispatch, P.O. Box 22365, Gilroy, CA 95021.