– Suspected child molester Victor Rangel Tellez appeared in
court Friday morning, and was expected to appear again the morning
of April 8.
By Lori Stuenkel
Gilroy – Suspected child molester Victor Rangel Tellez appeared in court Friday morning, and was expected to appear again the morning of April 8.
Tellez, 38, of San Martin, was arrested March 4 by Gilroy police and four days later was charged with seven counts of felony aggravated sexual assault of a child younger than 14. Tellez is suspected of sexually abusing a girl over a three- to four-year period from when she was eight years old until she was 11. Prosecutors allege he used force to commit the crimes.
On at least one occasion, Tellez slapped the alleged victim, and another time he threatened to hurt anyone she told about the abuse.
The abuse came to light last month as Tellez’s physical and mental health apparently declined, according to the police report.
He had moved out of the home he shared with his wife of 10 years in early February, and was unable to work because he suffered from anxiety and was physically ill, the report said. On Saturday, Feb. 26, Tellez went to the Gilroy police station visibly upset, at times crying and yelling, and said he needed to confess his sins, the report said.
Five days earlier, Tellez told his sister and niece he had “hurt” the alleged victim, they would later tell police.
Following his arrest, Tellez told police he could not explain why he reportedly admitted to molesting the victim.
If convicted, Tellez could face 15 years to life in prison for each of the seven counts of which he is accused.