Gilroy Boys Pull Off the Sweep; Live Oak Girls Sneak By
Gilroy – About halfway through the race in Monday’s meet between Gilroy, Live Oak and Sobrato at Christmas Hill Park, Mustang senior Arnulfo Velasquez had Sobrato freshman Lance Wolfsmith right with him. The rest of the pack was a distance behind.
But by the end of the race, Gilroy’s Humberto Pineda and Jose Velasquez were right behind Velasquez and ahead of Wolfsmith, making it a Mustang sweep of the top three spots.
Arnulfo Velasquez won the boys’ varsity race Monday with a time of 17:05. Pineda (2nd, 17:08), Jose Velasquez (3rd, 17:10) and Anthony Dragotto (5th, 17:19) helped Gilroy take four of the top five spots and the team win over Live Oak, 18-40, and Sobrato, 20-66. Team scores between Live Oak and Sobrato were not kept in any of the races because the two teams had already had a meet against each other earlier in the season.
After the race, Arnulfo Velasquez said he knew his teammates would come through.
“That’s how they start out. Everyone has their own way. They start slow and go up (later),” the senior said. “It didn’t worry me.”
The race was Arnulfo Velasquez’s second win in three days. He won the varsity division of the Crystal Springs Invitational Saturday with a time of 16:12. Pineda also had a solid showing, with a ninth-place time of16:46.
“We’re starting to jell,” said Gilroy co-head coach Art Silva. “We’re running in clumps, which is what we’re trying to instill in them. That is what it’s going to take to win a championship.”
The Gilroy boys’ team will have a chance at a league championship in three weeks at the TCAL Championship meet.
“I hope we’re ready,” Arnulfo Velasquez said. “This team is pretty strong this year and the program is really starting to build up.”
In the girls’ varsity race, the Gilroy team was edged out by Live Oak, 30-28. Gilroy runners Kathleen Miller (22:57), Megan Litle (24:06), Christine Babula (24:49) and Kristina Schmidt (24:59) took the fourth through seventh spots.
Live Oak senior Cobbie Jones won the girls’ varsity race with a time of 18:47. Her Live Oak teammates Lisa Herrera (2nd, 20:16) and Olivia Duran (3rd, 20:53) made it all-Acorn top three.
Boys’ Varsity Race
1. Arnulfo Velasquez, Gilroy 17:05
2. Humberto Pineda, Gilroy 17:08
3. Jose Velasquez, Gilroy 17:10
4. Lance Wolfsmith, Sobrato 17:14
5. Anthony Dragotto, Gilroy 17:14
6. Josh Levy, Live Oak 17:20
7. Eric Matsumoto, Live Oak 17:39
8. Andrew Taylor, Live Oak 17:46
9. Ramiro Diaz, Gilroy 17:46
10. Kenny Benner, Live Oak 17:48
Girls’ Varsity Race
1. Cobbie Jones, Live Oak 18:47
2. Lisa Herrera, Live Oak 20:16
3. Olivia Duran, Live Oak 20:53
4. Kathleen Miller, Gilroy 22:57
5. Megan Litle, Gilroy 24:06
6. Christine Babula, Gilroy 24:49
7. Kristina Schmidt, Gilroy 24:59
8. Remy Birchmier, Sobrato 25:06
9. Kayla Nishimatsu, Sobrato 25:06