Keeping Fury Friends Safe

Halloween can have risks for pets, too, said Dr. Daniel Gregg, a
veterinarian at Morgan Hill Animal Hospital.
Halloween can have risks for pets, too, said Dr. Daniel Gregg, a veterinarian at Morgan Hill Animal Hospital. Not only is candy bad for animals in ways similar to humans – such as causing cavities and stomachaches – but it also can be fatal.

“Chocolate is toxic for dogs,” Gregg said. “If they eat enough of it they can die, and I’ve seen it cause seizures. Dogs should not eat chocolate.”

Wrappers, especially foil wrappers, can cause blockage in animals’ intestines, and popsicle and lollipop sticks can get lodged in pets’ throats.

To keep them safe, pets should be kept inside during Halloween, particularly black cats, which are “especially prone” to torture by certain cults, Gregg said.

Leave your comments