Night-time traffic along Pacheco Pass Highway heading east out
of Gilroy will be restricted to one lane as part of an ongoing
widening of the congested road.
Gilroy – Night-time traffic along Pacheco Pass Highway heading east out of Gilroy will be restricted to one lane as part of an ongoing widening of the congested road.
The Valley Transportation Authority will restrict the flow of traffic along Highway 152 to one lane during late-night hours as part of the widening from just west of Gilroy Foods to Llagas Creek.
Crews will pave and stripe roadway and install safety barriers. Flag personnel will be on hand to direct traffic.
The work, which will not affect daytime traffic, takes place from:
• Sun., Nov. 13 through Fri., Nov. 18, 10pm to 4am each day
• Fri., Nov. 18 through Sun., Nov. 20, 10pm to 6am each day
The $23-million project involves the widening of the bridge crossing Llagas Creek, but the centerpiece of the project is a much-needed signal in front of Gilroy Foods.
The east entrance will be aligned with the Westside Transport Inc. entrance across the highway. Turn lanes will be added for both businesses.
Currently, more than 600 Gilroy Food employees play a dangerous cat-and-mouse game when leaving their job, waiting for a break in the traffic before darting onto the highway, causing backups in the Gilroy Foods parking.
Friday afternoons are the worst, as weekend traffic heading east backs up along 152 all the way Highway 101.
Hwy. 152 work
• Four lanes from west of Gilroy Foods to Llagas Creek.
• Bridge crossing Llagas will be widened.
• East entrance of Gilroy Foods will be aligned with the entrance of Westside Transport.
• A signal and turn lanes will be installed for each business.