Political Correctness Run Amok…’Merry Christmas’

Dear Editor,
Merry Christmas, yes, Merry Christmas
– not Happy Holidays or any other greeting. This is Christmas.
This is a day that was set aside and made a national holiday by
Ulysses S. Grant in 1870 to honor a philosopher named Jesus.
Dear Editor,

Merry Christmas, yes, Merry Christmas – not Happy Holidays or any other greeting. This is Christmas. This is a day that was set aside and made a national holiday by Ulysses S. Grant in 1870 to honor a philosopher named Jesus.

You cannot dispute that He was born, lived, and made a major impact on this world and (on) our society. Our founding fathers incorporated this philosophy into the founding of this great nation. There is no mail delivered and government offices are closed in honor of this man (on) this day.

I think retailers such as Target, Sears, Kmart, Wal-Mart and others that are bending and not wishing (customers) a Merry Christmas so that they do not offend the 1 percent of secular progressives in our country need to rethink their “Happy Holidays” because I do not think they want to offend the rest of the 99 percent who may want to shop there. Macy’s and others have chosen to do the right thing by sticking to “Have a Merry Christmas.”

I have asked for clarification of these business policies and only Wal-Mart responded, saying they have no policy that prohibits an associate from saying, “Merry Christmas” but (that) “Happy Holidays” is a pleasant greeting that applies to everyone.

If you want to think of Jesus as just a philosopher (in order) to keep this holiday, do so. I chose to know Him as Jesus Christ, Son of God, and to honor Him this Christmas Day.

Edwin Boggs, Gilroy

Leave your comments