It’s that time of year again: summer vacation. School is out,
and parents are braced to hear that tiresome refrain,
We’re bored; there’s nothing to do!
It’s that time of year again: summer vacation. School is out, and parents are braced to hear that tiresome refrain, “We’re bored; there’s nothing to do!”
Well, South Valley residents can take heart, because many local churches are providing wholesome, educational, and entertaining programs during this summer at reasonable cost. Below is a sampling of some available opportunities.
– First Presbyterian Church (2066 San Benito St.) will present its High Seas Expedition from from 9 a.m. to noon Aug. 2 through 6 at a cost of $35 (discounts available) for pre-K through fifth grade students. Nautical-themed activities include crafts, outdoor games, video clips, Bible stories, snacks and songs. Details: (831) 637-4350.
– Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church will present Son Quest Rainforest (at St. Benedict’s, 1200 Fairview Road) from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. from June 28 through July 2 for students entering grades one through six, at a cost of $55 per student. A session for pre-K and kindergarten will follow from 9 a.m. to noon July 6 through 8 at a cost of $35. Activities include snacks, crafts, games, music, Bible stories and service projects. Details: (831) 637-9212.
– Gilroy Presbyterian Church (6000 Miller Ave.) will present three sessions of Bible Wars: Return of the Messiah divided by age group. Preschool Camp, ages 3 and 4, will be 9 to 11:45 a.m. June 14 to 18, at a cost of $55. Primary Camp, grades kindergarten through grade two, will be from 9 to noon June 14 to 18 and will cost $50. Intermediate Camp, grades three through six will be from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 21 to 25 and will cost $55. All sessions offer songs, stories, crafts, skits and Bible stories. Details: (408) 842-3000.
– Foothills Church (8335 Church St.) will present a unique Safari Adventure from 9 a.m. to noon June 21 to 25 for grades preK through 5 at no charge. The activities will include jungle-themed Bible stories, science lessons, crafts and interactive theatre experiences. Details: (408) 848-3100.
– First Baptist Church (8455 Wren Ave.) offers Saddle Ridge Ranch from 9 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. July 12 through 16. Students in kindergarten through sixth grades will enjoy crafts, music, recreation, snacks and Bible stories with a wild-west theme at no charge. There will also be a Sports Camp from 8:30 to noon June 21 to 24. Students in kindergarten through fifth grades will take part in basketball, soccer, baseball and cheerleading. A $10 donation is requested. Details: (408) 847-6000.
– South Valley Community Church (8095 Kelton Drive) offers Son Quest Rainforest from 9 a.m. to noon Aug. 9 to 13. Children in kindergarten through grade six will participate in crafts, outdoor games, snacks, music and Bible stories. Cost is $15. Details: (408) 848-2363.
– St. John’s Episcopal Preschool (17740 Peak Ave.) is offering 10 separate one-week summer camps for ages two through five from 9 a.m. to noon. The first session will began June 7, and the final one Aug. 9. There will be water and sand play, arts, crafts, reading, games and music. The cost depends on attendance: two mornings ($60), three mornings ($90), five mornings ($150). Details: (408) 782-9994.
– Advent Lutheran Church (16870 Murphy Ave.) is offering four weekly sessions of Christian Music Theatre June 14-19, July 5-10, July 12-17 and Aug. 2-7 for kindergartners through ninth graders. Each week, students will prepare a different show, practicing skills in drama, music, art and dance, and then present it on Saturday. The cost is $250. Discounts and scholarships are available. Details: (408) 779-3551.
– Morgan Hill Bible Church (15055 Monterey St.) offers High Seas Expedition from 9 a.m. to noon June 21 to 25 for first through sixth graders at a cost of $35, including T-shirt. Day campers will enjoy games, songs, crafts, snacks and Bible stories with a nautical theme. Details: (408) 778-5083.
– Morgan Hill Presbyterian Church (16970 DeWitt Ave.) will present Summer Day Camp from 9 a.m. to noon from July 19 to 23, for children entering grades one through six. Students will enjoy games, crafts, recreation, songs and Bible sessions. Details (408) 779-2820.