The Ghost is returning to his old haunting grounds, but no one’s
cowering in fear
– save for his dad, maybe.
The Ghost is returning to his old haunting grounds, but no one’s cowering in fear – save for his dad, maybe.
Gilroy’s beloved boxing champion, Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero will duke it out with his dad in a demonstration during a homecoming thrown in his honor from 12 to 6 p.m. Sunday on Fifth Street.
After Guerrero’s title-clinching bout against Australian fighter
Michael Katsidis on April 9, the Downtown Business Association is throwing a party for the 28-year-old Gilroyan who recently won his fourth and fifth world boxing titles.
The event will feature a real boxing ring, three musical acts, presentations from city officials and a boxing demonstration by the newly crowned champ and his father, Ruben.
Dinner plates of tri-tip sandwiches from Station 55 and autographed photos will cost $5 each, with all proceeds going to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. At 3 p.m. Denise Turner, chief of the Gilroy Police Department, will also present Guerrero with the Chiefs Challenge Coin. She explained the coin awarded for service above and beyond the call of duty.
“In this case, Robert serves our community as a role model, a person of high integrity and an inspiration to all of us,” she said, adding the presentation of the coin is “few and far between and a rare recognition.”
Downtown business owner John Tomasello said an event celebrating Guerrero is long overdue.
“Something like this should have been done after his first world championship,” he said.
Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero Day
– From 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday on Fifth Street. Dinner plates from Station 55 and autographed photos will cost $5 and benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
– Food and music: 12 p.m.
– Proclamation by state Assemblyman Luis Alejo: 1:15 p.m.
– Presentation by Gilroy Downtown Business Association: 1:20 p.m.
– Presentation by Gilroy Chamber of Commerce: 2 p.m.
– Chief Turner presents “Chiefs Challenge Coin:” 3 to 3:05 p.m.
– Boxing demonstration with Robert and his dad: 3:45 p.m.
– Mayor Al Pinheiro and Gilroy City Council present key to the city and proclamation
– Entertainment: Will include the Bombshell Bully’s from 12 to 2 p.m., Mariachi from 2:10 to 3 p.m., J.J. Hawg from 3 to 4:45 p.m. and Mariachi Alma de Mexico from 5 to 6 p.m.