Do you think having firefighting crews as first responders to
medical emergencies makes sense?
THIS WEEK’S WEB POLL:
Do you think having firefighting crews as first responders to medical emergencies makes sense?
– Yes, if paramedics are on board.
– Yes they are able to respond faster and time is of the essence often in a medical emergency. Wish they could dispatch fewer personnel and smaller trucks however.
– YES, GFD as first responder is faster than ambulance response, and they might as well be used since they get paid for sitting around waiting for calls.
– Maybe. The topic should be discussed and reviewed. I would be concerned about response time, but the cost savings are worth looking at. We just need to ensure the health and safety of the community is the priority.
– Yes if they are trained to be first responders. Their overall training as a firefighter and paramedic can only help
– No. Local firefighters can back up the first response ambulance service if required to do so.
– No. It has never made sense to me and perhaps I am just under-educated on the topic! It seems ridiculous that fire crew arrives, ambulance arrives then the big bill arrives!
– No. I think that having the fire department respond to medical emergencies is expensive and an inefficient use of resources.