The Gilroy Dispatch presents its picks for the five local things
to do for the weekend warrior. Music, food, or fun, South Valley
has it all. Have another event in mind? Feel free to comment to
tell your fellow Gilroyans what’s going on. Here are some
interesting options for the Fourth of July weekend. Full
Today’s breaking news:
Where to buy fireworks
Martial arts studio kicks way downtown
The Gilroy Dispatch presents its picks for the five local things to do for the weekend warrior. Music, food, or fun, South Valley has it all. Have another event in mind? Feel free to comment to tell your fellow Gilroyans what’s going on. Here are some interesting options for the June 24-26 weekend.
Fifth Street Live! comes to downtown
Enjoy food and entertainment during Fifth Street Live!, which runs from 7 to 9 p.m. Fridays through Aug. 26 on Fifth Street, between Monterey and Eigleberry streets. The event is free. Bring your own chair. The lineup includes Blue Sky Band (folk, electric) today, Double Barrel (country/ classic rock) on July 8, John Garcia (blues) on July 15, Sagebrush (folk country) on July 22, Fast Lane Band (rock & roll) on Aug. 5, South Bay Swing Band (Miller, Goodman, Dorsey) on Aug. 12, The Usual Suspects (classic rock) on Aug. 19 and JJ Hawg (rock & roll/blues edge) on Aug. 26. There is no show on July 29.
Benefit concert at Methodist church
St. Erma Kyriakos and Candace Fazzio will perform in a free concert at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the United Methodist Church of Gilroy at 7600 Church St. Donations cover musician travel expenses.
Shows at 9Lives
Steven Adler, the former Guns N’ Roses drummer, will perform with Adler’s Appetite at 8 p.m. Saturday at 9Lives, 7430 Monterey St. The all female Rebekah Starr Band will also perform. L.A. Guns featuring Phil Lewis will perform at 8 p.m. Sunday. Mercy Fists will be there as well. “World’s Youngest Rockers” Haunted By Heroes will be the opening act both nights. Details: 337-1799 or [email protected] or visit ninelivesclub.com.
Fireworks show at Gilroy High School
The city will hold its annual fireworks show at 9:30 p.m. Monday at Gilroy High School. The 20-minute fireworks show can also be viewed at Christmas Hill Park and the surrounding areas.
Fourth of July events in Morgan Hill
– Family Bike Classic – Take a leisurely ride or pick it up with your family along Coyote Creek Trail for a 30-mile, 13-mile or 6-mile out-and-back course. Registration at 8 a.m. Lunch at 11:30 a.m. included with $25 fee.
– Patriotic Sing – Listen to a free concert of America’s anthems given by Karen Crane and Morgan Hill’s school children at Britton Middle School Auditorium at 6 p.m.
– Family Street Dance – After the Sing, walk to the street dance where you can hear the “Dadz” at the Second Street stage about 7:30 p.m. The Emerald Regime Alumni Band will play the “Star Spangled Banner” to kick it off.
– Freedom Fest Run – Jog or race around the parade route before the parade takes to the street. The 1K children’s fun run starts at 7:45 a.m. and the 5K begins at 8:15 a.m.
– Classic Car Cruise – Morgan Hill’s finest classic cars will drive the route at 9:30 a.m. so be sure to get a spot early. The Classic Car Show will continue at 11:30 a.m. and until awards are announced about 2 p.m. in the Wells Fargo parking lot.
– 117th Parade – The 4th of July parade begins at 10 a.m. The route is a circle: North on Monterey Road through downtown, west on Main Avenue, south on Peak Avenue, east on West Dunne Avenue and north back onto Monterey. Visitors can set up folding chairs or take a seat on the curb, though be wary of the West Dunne portion, there’s construction on the north side of the sidewalk.
– Fireworks – Take a short drive to Community Park on Edmundson Avenue to enjoy the pre-fireworks entertainment from 4 p.m. until the show at dark. Food will be available for purchase and the “Usual Suspects” will take the stage at 6 p.m. The free fireworks show begins at sundown. Details: visit MHFreedomFest.com.
Movie times: click here.
Local eats: click here.
On TV: Click on these links for listings: Broadcast Television, Cable, Dish, DIRECTV.