The 2012 Relay For Life will last from 10 a.m. this Saturday to 10 a.m. Sunday in Christmas Hill Park at 7049 Miller Ave. in Gilroy.
All proceeds go directly to the American Cancer Society.
Relay For Life is an event that takes place around the globe and claims to be “the largest movement to end the disease,” according to the organization. Teams of people camp out at a local high school, park or fairground, then take turns walking or running around a track or path. Signifying the fact “cancer never sleeps,” relays are overnight, last 24 hours and require each team to have a representative on the track at all times during the event.
Want to get involved? Learn more about Relay For Life by visiting relayforlife.org, Gilroy Relay For Life on Facebook or by emailing event coordinator Manuel Haro at [email protected] View the flier attached with this article for more details and information.
The itinerary for this year is as follows:
• Opening ceremony: 10 a.m. Saturday
• Miss Relay Contest: 4:30 p.m. Saturday
• Locks of Love donations: 3 to 5 p.m. Saturday
• Luminaria ceremony: 9 p.m. Saturday
• Gilroy’s Got Talent Show: 11 p.m. Saturday
• Closing and “fight back” ceremony: 9 a.m. Sunday
• Ongoing activities throughout the event: Musical guests, entertainment, Zumba, Laser Recon, Yoga, tug-of-war, race for a cure car races and Kid’s Camp (games, face painting, bean bag toss, color a cupcake, make a card, hair feathers).