Gilroy felon with $1 million warrant arrested by SJPD

Angel Solorzano

At 8:05 p.m. on Tuesday, San Jose Police arrested an armed felon on a $1 million warrant for a firearm violation traveling northbound on Highway 17 near Summit Road. 

Angel Solorzano, 23 of Gilroy, was arrested for the felony warrant as well as a warrant for a parole violation. The SJPD also found a handgun in his vehicle. Gilroy Police are currently investigating the history of that weapon. 

Police have been searching for Solorzano since July 22 at 12:35 p.m. when they found him hiding a stolen Magnum revolver in his backpack on Hanna Street and Gurries Drive. Solorzano allegedly fled the scene, leaving his backpack with police.  

“Shortly after the Dispatch released the story about Solorzano, police received intelligence and were able to narrow down suspected locations to the city of San Jose,” Gallacinao said. 

San Jose Police arrested Solorzano without incident and then turned him over to Gilroy Police. 

“We are thankful for everyone’s help in this case. It would just be a matter of time before he committed another crime, based on his history,” Gallacinao said. 

Because of Solorzano’s suspected gang affiliation, the District Attorney may place an enhancement on his sentence, Gallacinao said. 

Gilroy Police have also tied Solorzano to several recent residential burglaries, he said. 

Solorzano is tied to the murder of Larry Martinez, Jr., who was gunned down in broad daylight in 2008 in Gilroy by a rival gang member. Solorzano was friends with Martinez, but was charged along with two other of his friends with murder by the District Attorney’s Office under a little-used and controversial “provocative act murder theory.” It allows the DA’s  Office to charge someone with murder if they were involved in a crime that eventually led to someone’s killing. In this case, prosecutors argued that because the three attempted to confront a rival, Sureno gang member, their actions led to Martinez’s death.

Solorzano, however, agreed to lesser charges of conspiracy to commit an assault with a deadly weapon after prosecutors decided they couldn’t prove their actions were responsible for the death of their friend, said Deputy District Attorney Frank Carrubba, who prosecuted the case.

He and two others were sentenced to three years in prison in July 2011 but were released because it was determined they had served their terms while in custody, Carrubba said.

The public is encouraged to report further information on Solorzano to GPD Communications (846-0350).

Leave your comments