BOXING: Guerrero talks Berto, drug testing and Mayweather

Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero shouts advice to his brother Randy from the side of the ring during his featherweight debut Saturday night at the Oracle Arena in Oakland.

Interim WBC welterweight champion Robert Guerrero faces Andre Berto on November 24 as the Californian looks extend his great form and move a step closer to challenging Floyd Mayweather Jr.

The 29 year-old, who has claimed world titles at four different weights in just four years, becomes the first fighter to share the ring with former WBC belt holder Berto since his drug testing scandal and spoke to WBN to discuss his mood leading into the fight in his home state.

“I’m not worried about it,” Guerrero told World Boxing News when asked about Berto’s recent test failure. “If he’s going to risk ruining his career by taking drugs then that’s a stress he’ll be dealing with. The spotlight is on him now and I don’t think he’s going to be doing anything illegal. Both teams agreed to use USADA testing and I’m confident they will do their job to make sure everything is fair.

“The California athletic commission will also be doing some strict testing as well,” he clarified.

Berto, also 29, has now been out of the ring for a total of fourteen months, taking into account the controversy surrounding his scheduled rematch with Victor Ortiz earlier this year.

The Haitian-American defeated Jan Zaveck in September 2011 on the back of his first loss to Ortiz, although Guerrero disputes his fifth round win over the Slovenian as a premature stoppage.

“I thought Zaveck was making a comeback when they stopped the fight,” said Guerrero. “It would have been interesting to see how the fight played out if it went the distance. Berto did well early, but started to fade as the fight went on.”

Guerrero had hoped to be facing Floyd Mayweather, rather than Berto after claiming mandatory position for the pound for king with a win over Selcuk Aydin in July, but the Gilroy fighter is content to wade it out as ‘Money’ takes time off following his incarceration.

There could soon be a case for Mayweather to be relieved of the title as he openly dismisses a fight with Guerrero, although ‘The Ghost’ is hopeful they can meet in the ring, rather than him being handed the title without a fight.

“I’m always looking to fight the best challenges, but Floyd isn’t fighting this year so I took the next best challenge in Berto. I want to be recognized as a fighter who is always looking for the toughest challenges,” he explained. “I have no idea what the WBC is going to do with Floyd and the welterweight title (if Floyd doesn’t fight soon).  If he’s not fighting then I’m assuming they’ll strip him at some point.”

Leave your comments