Fire crews responded to a report of smoke at T.J. Maxx Friday morning when an electrical box inside a jewelry case caught on fire, authorities said.
No injuries and no major property damage were reported, according to the Morgan Hill Fire Department and the store manager.
Crews from MHFD, CalFire and South County Fire District responded to the store at 401 Vineyard Town Center about 10 a.m.
There was no visible fire when crews arrived, but firefighters located the source of the smoke inside a jewelry box, where a metal light and ballast case had caught on fire, MHFD Battalion Chief Tim Main said.
“We were able to quickly isolate the fire under the jewelry case,” Main said.
The responding emergency crews were “concerned,” however, to find that store employees had not evacuated the building of customers as soon as they noticed the fire, Main said.
“Whenever there’s any smoke, folks need to evacuate,” Main said.
The store remained busy with a steady stream of customers entering and exiting after the fire was extinguished, and while firefighters were leaving the area.
“The fire department’s response was excellent,” T.J. Maxx manager Leticia Esnaurrizar said.