Three fatal car crashes over Labor Day weekend

Three separate fatal car accidents happened around Gilroy over the holiday weekend including one involving Pedro Douglas-Perez of Gilroy.
At approximately 5:15 p.m. on Friday, police said that Ricardo Hernandez was reportedly intoxicated while driving a 1991 Ford F250C with Douglas-Perez, 67, and Audencio Utrera as passengers on an uneven portion of a dirt and gravel driveway at 9380 New Ave. The uneven pavement caused the vehicle to bounce, ejecting Douglas-Perez.
Because of Hernandez’s rate of intoxication, he was unable to stop the vehicle before the right rear tire ran over Douglas-Perez, police said.
Fire and emergency personnel arrived on the scene shortly after and administered first aid. Douglas-Perez was transported to San Jose Regional Hospital and was pronounced dead at 6:13 p.m.
On Saturday at 5:40 p.m. Francisco Cendejas Andrade, 42, of Hollister, collided with a vehicle at an intersection at Fairview and Fallon roads in an unincorporated area of San Benito County. The second driver, in a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup entered the intersection from a stop sign and Cendejas Andrade crashed into the vehicle. Cendejas Andrade tried to put on the brakes but the front of his 1991 Honda Accord crashed into the left side of the pickup.
Fire and ambulance arrived on scene to perform CPR and Cendejas Andrade was transported to Hazel Hawkins Hospital but was pronounced dead at 7:09 p.m. The driver of the Dodge Ram suffered minor injuries. Drugs or alcohol are not believed to be involved.
On Monday Avelino Aguirre Alvarez, 31, of Watsonville was discovered dead when his overturned 2003 Toyota Tacoma was discovered in a drainage ditch off of Highway 101 south of State Route 25. CHP officers discovered Aguirre Alvarez while responding to a small grass fire nearby. The Tacoma was discovered covered under heavy brush with Aguirre Alvarez still seat belted. It appears that the Tacoma was there for several hours and that no other vehicles appeared to be involved. Aguirre Alvarez was pronounced dead at 3:24 a.m. The accident is still under investigation, but drugs or alcohol do not appear to be involved.