The man who allegedly stole a police cruiser and provoked police
into shooting at him in defense will not make a plea until March
4.
The man who allegedly stole a police cruiser and provoked police into shooting at him in defense will not make a plea until March 4.
A public defender for Kenneth Michael Aguero, 31, recommended Tuesday that the plea be delayed while both sides gather evidence for the case.
Aguero, who came dressed in a red jumpsuit worn by maximum security inmates, had grown a mustache since his last court appearance Jan. 27. He sat slumped in his chair after being escorted inside the courtroom and appeared almost childlike. Aguero remained polite throughout the hearing, telling the judge “Thank you, sir,” at one point.
Aguero allegedly stole a police cruiser and tried to steal police guns on Jan. 24 after causing a disturbance at Marx Towing, 5757 Obata Way in southeast Gilroy. Police unsuccessfully tried to detain him with pepper spray, a Taser, and police baton hits but finally arrested him with the help of a police dog, according to police reports. In addition, Sgt. Chad Gallacinao and Officer Diana Mora, both fired guns at the police car Aguero stole, police said. Both officers were placed on administrative leave, which is routine after a gun is fired, but they came back on duty Sunday.
Sgt. Jim Gillio said last week that the two would be back on duty when the police department was comfortable with them returning based on interviews with police and witnesses, and when the officers were personally comfortable with returning. He said at the time that a full administrative review of the officers would likely take 30 to 60 days.