May. For the unenlightened, it’s the fifth month, a time between the seasons of “It’s too cold!” and “It’s too hot!”
To the enlightened, however, it’s our month! National Bike Month! Thirty-one days to celebrate our two-wheeled, pedal-powered pals! As in previous Mays, Cycle Guy is here to provide some superb cycle suggestions.
• May 1-31: Ride as many days as possible! Check out the calendar at bikesiliconvalley.org for tons of awesome online and on-the-bike opportunities.
• May 3: It’s Walk, Bike, and Roll to School Day. Go make it happen!
• May 7: Enjoy a family ride on National Ride a Bike Day.
• May 13: Take part in the 30th annual I Care Classic, out of Morgan Hill. The 50K, 100K and 100-mile routes all take off from Paramit Corporation, while the family-friendly, 10-mile option takes place at the nearby Coyote Creek Visitor Center. Green routes, friendly folks and a delicious post-ride barbecue? Can’t go wrong with that!
• May 15-21: Celebrate National Bike to Work Week/Day. More info at bikeleague.org.
• May 18: Participate in Bay Area Bike To Work Day. Register today, then join the thousands exploring or enjoying the wonderful world of bicycle commuting. Check online at bayareabiketowork.com to find the closest Energizer Stations to you, then pedal by to pick up some super cycle stuff!
• May 19 and 20: Keep on rolling by taking part in Bay Area Bike to Wherever Days. Many Energizer Stations will still be out there!
• May 21: Choose from among 30-, 64- and 100-mile routes at the 32nd Strawberry Fields Forever, pedaling out from Watsonville’s Pajaro Valley High School. Your post-ride bash will feature “specialty mobile food vendors” and SFF’s famous strawberries dipped in chocolate ganache.
Curt “Cycle Guy” Hentschke is a cyclist, seeker, song farmer and scribe. Send your cycle celebrations and cerebration to [email protected].