Gilroy Foundation grant cycle opens Oct. 1
Gilroy Foundation has made a change to its grant cycle, moving the beginning of the cycle up to Oct. 1 for funding in 2022.
Since 1980, the Gilroy Foundation has awarded more than $15.8 million in grants and scholarships. Foundation grants have been utilized in areas such as schools, health, arts, technology, environment and more.
To date, in 2021, $327,323 was awarded to local organizations and programs during the annual grant cycle and through pass-through grants.
The 2022 Competitive Grant Cycle opens on Oct. 1 and closes on Dec. 15.
All nonprofits with a 501(c)(3) status, GUSD schools, and Gilroy City programs are eligible to apply for a Gilroy Foundation grant that will serve the Gilroy community.
To apply, download a 2022 grant application, available at gilroyfoundation.org.
Grant application and supporting documentation must be submitted to the foundation via email by Dec. 15.
Grants will be awarded in March.
For information, email [email protected]
Free homework help at the library
Bay Area Tutoring Association will begin hosting free homework help for grades 7-12 at the Gilroy Library, 350 West Sixth St.
The instruction will take place Mondays through Thursdays from 3:30-5pm, beginning Sept. 27 and running through Dec. 17.
The academic coach to student ratio is one coach for up to eight students, with help in math, English, history and science.
All participants must live in Santa Clara County. To register, visit sccld.org/events. Walk-ins are welcome as space allows.
Mi Ocampo hosting barbecue
The Mi Ocampo Insurance Agency is hosting its inaugural Hispanic Heritage Month BBQ on Oct. 9 at El Roble Park, 7550 Wren Ave., from 11am to 4pm.
The event will feature complimentary food and soft drinks to celebrate the Hispanic culture and all they have contributed to the community.
Nominations sought for Spice of Life awards
The Gilroy Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors invites the community to nominate individuals and businesses for the 2022 Spice of Life awards.
Applications are available online at Gilroy.org and at the Gilroy Chamber office, 7471 Monterey St., with a deadline of Oct. 8.
• 2022 Man and Woman of the Year: Acknowledges those who have a history of unselfish service to the community, contributing to Gilroy’s welfare and betterment.
• 2022 Small and Large Business of the Year: Recognizes a Gilroy Chamber of Commerce business which has demonstrated an extraordinary level of excellence and success in areas such as management skills, innovation, personal commitment, community involvement and support, and a contribution to the entrepreneurial spirit. Separate categories are presented based on business size with small businesses being 25 full- or part-time employees or less and large businesses with 26 and above full- or part-time employees.
• 2022 Gilroy Educator of the Year: Acknowledges an individual who has made a significant contribution within the educational community of Gilroy.
• 2022 Firman B. Voorhies Volunteer of the Year: Recognizes a Gilroy Chamber of Commerce volunteer.
• 2022 Non-Profit of the Year: Recognizes an outstanding non-profit organization in Gilroy.
• 2022 Young Professional of the Year: Acknowledges the accomplishments of a highly motivated young professional who works or lives in South County. Nominees for this award must be between the ages of 21-40 years old.