Gilroy police dealt with and arrested several people over the weekend. Here are some significant incidents:
- On June 28 at 1:15 p.m. near 1100 block of Driftwood Terrace a victim reported her ex-boyfriend pushed her several times when he came to her apartment to pick up his belongings. A witness pushed the ex-boyfriend, who then grabbed the witness by the neck. The case is going to the district attorney’s office for review.
- Shayna Michelle Nakata, 21, July 29 at 6 p.m. at Styles For Less on Camino Arroyo in Gilroy for embezzlement of $360.
- Joshua Ryan Garcia, 24, June 30 at 8:40 p.m. on Hecker Pass Highway for embezzling $900 from his employers at Gilroy Gardens theme park.
- Two auto break-ins and burglaries took place within an hour of each other June 29 in the parking lot of Saint Mary’s Church on First Street Gilroy. The first burglary occurred at 8 p.m. when an unknown suspect smashed the window of a 2005 GMC Yukon and stole more than $1,700 worth of personal items. The second auto burglary occurred at 8:40 p.m. when an unknown suspect smashed the window of a different vehicle and stole more than $130 worth of personal items.
Robbery and assault
- An unknown suspect, June 28 at 10:45 p.m. near the intersection of Orchard Drive and 10th Street for assaulting and robbing a victim. The suspect hit the victim in the head with a bottle, causing the victim to lose consciousness for a few seconds. When the victim regained consciousness, he was on the ground and being punched and kicked by the suspect. The victim was able to get up and run away from the attack. The suspect stole a wristwatch and wallet from the victim. The suspect is still unknown. Police are in the process of investigating the case.
- Miguel Hernandez Herrera, 38, June 30 at 8:44 a.m. on the 7600 block of Carmel Street for resisting arrest after he was found sleeping on another resident’s property. When police were called to the scene, they found Herrera – a transient – laying face down near the garage of a private residence. Herrera refused to cooperate with police officers, who were eventually forced to use pepper spray, a baton and a Taser to detain Herrera. After being transported to a local hospital for treatment, Herrera was transported to the main jail in San Jose. Herrera, who was also found to be in possession of marijuana, provided a false identity during the booking process. Officers eventually discovered that Herrera was a parolee at large. Officers are looking into the possibility that Herrera may be an out-of-compliance, unregistered sex offender.
Financial elder abuse
- Police are investigating a case of possible financial elder abuse on the 8200 block of Murray Avenue in Gilroy. The case involves the withdrawal of $1,800 from the bank account of an elderly victim.
- Ryan Montgomery, 23, July 1 at 1:28 p.m. on 100 block of Sturla Court for domestic violence. Neighbors called police after hearing a verbal argument. The victim sustained minor injuries but did not require medical attention.
- Ricky Kawamoto, 49, at 7:57 p.m. July 1 on Camino Arroyo for brandishing a pellet gun at a victim during an alleged road rage incident while driving east on Highway 152.
- Oscar Zaragoza, 20, and Crystal Hernandez, 18, July 2 at 2:36 a.m. on the 200 block of Lilly Avenue for domestic battery and child endangerment. Zaragoza and Hernandez are accused of endangering a child during a domestic dispute.