Justin Sweeney will be chasing down a little history.
When the Mustangs take on the Acorns tonight, Gilroy tailback Justin Sweeney will be chasing down a little history.
The junior standout is 154 yards away from setting a tri-league (TCAL, MTAL, MBL) regular-season rushing record. Through nine games, Sweeney has piled up 1,480 yards, which puts him at fourth on the all-time list:
1. Ignacio Guzman, Gonzales (1996) 1,634
2. Ronnie Drummer, N. Salinas (2003) 1,551
3. Jon Grim, Salinas (1983) 1,493
4. Sweeney, Gilroy (2004) 1,480
5. Kris Bonifas, RLS (2000) 1,453
Sweeney also has a shot at finishing as the season’s top rusher in the Central Coast Section, which includes 89 area teams. He heads into the final week 88 yards out of the top spot:
1. Marlon Rosales, Santa Teresa 1,568
2. Sweeney, Gilroy 1,480
3. Bronson Farr, Cupertino 1,371
4. Quentrel Hunter, Independence 1,305
5. Joseph Haynes, Yerba Buena 1,269
-Compiled by Brett Edgerton